Ashland: “Between Two Knees”

Sunday, May 20, was a double play day with “Between Two Knees” in the afternoon and “Mother Road” in the evening.  We found both of these play most powerful and provocative, exposing and challenging some of our deeply held beliefs.

Zalee:

“I loved the play. It was funny. But afterword, reflecting upon it, I felt like crying for laughing at such situations. It kind of disturbed me at how easily I could laugh at something so painful.”

Elli:

“I was left wondering. What would have happened if none of it (The Wounded Knee Massacre, Indian Boarding Schools, WWII, Vietnam, and the Occupation of Wounded Knee) had happened. It is the kind of play that left me feeling I need to see it again.”

Gianna:

“I was left wondering if white people had never done all that stuff, what would life be like. The play left me in an existential crisis. White people are responsible for this, but I don’t want to feel responsible for it. But should I?”

AJ:

“The play addressed many issues around identity, such as being white and coming from a certain background, in a raw and truthful way. The play helped me better understand my culture. Why this affected me this way is because of the type of white I come from. I faced the truth in a way that was rather alarming to me, through disarming humor.”

(More to come on “The Mother Road”)